Monday, October 7, 2024

Recharge

 ...I've been looking at the grass again... 

I can honestly say that this drought we're in here in the Midwest, just may have enlivened me back to the concern of 'all things grazing'. When I see the severe and even mild drought in Ohio I get concerned. 

It has rekindled I believe, my passion for soil, grass, cattle, and management!

Here I am 10 years later. Not where I hoped I would've been when I started this blog back in 2014. But non-the less... still passionate about learning, growing and maturing the land (along with myself as well). Also I'm very grateful for all of the years I've had with my sons, and seeing them grow. 10 years ago they were 6, 8, 11. Hard to believe my youngest is 6'1" now. Hah! 

I look at the land where I am, and I'm thinking about "water holding capacity" of the soil. Also about water management on a ranch as a whole. Making the most out of a rain event, and keeping/storing as much as you can, type of mindset. I'm thinking about how I might set things up to prepare for stockpiling forage (if that were possible) and how to make sure the cows have what they need. Thinking about paddock or pasture movements and all of that beautiful stuff! 

Just this weekend, I was on my neighbor's land where his and (now only one of) my cattle graze. I saw there the lack of management. He and I both have kind of lets other things get in the way of taking care of the pasture. We've been fixing and keeping our hands to the fence after a storm or such. But not really as closely as we should have. AND When we're looking at the fence, and tending it, THAT is when you see the grass, and the soil. And can make those observations that are SOOO paramount and vital to having even a chance at a successful pasture management program.

Back in 2014 I had thought I would have possibly had enough cattle, and managed enough land (notice I didn't say own) that I might be able to slow down my corporate job and do a part time contracting scenario, or just a low paying job to supplement the farm income, and for insurance. And that I might have had a large enough customer base now that would be consistently buying my grass-fed beef, and or lamb by now, that I might have been able to "retire" and "Just Ranch". 


Anyhoo, here I am... looking at the grass, and comparing pictures from May of 2021 to today Oct 2024 of the same pasture. The grass here in 2021 although it was May, and yes we were trying to manage it in coordination with the land owner, it was pretty severely overgrazed. The first picture shows how we were trying to keep the cattle off of one section to allow it to regenerate, and making a little progress. 

The second picture shows us the same day taking the cross fence down, on the overgrazed pasture. Opening up the fence for the cows to start grazing what we had allowed to rest..




Here I was this weekend (Oct 2024) glaring at the (my) lack of management, and the (again) overgrazed, and poor quality pasture. I mean I feel like I can't even call it a pasture. I could still see the soul of my boot when walking in that green stuff.

I'm glad the drought has (I think) killed off the weeds. But the poor condition, and the massive amount of weeds, the complete overgrazed condition was a little depressing to look at! 
As you can see I was able to at least cross fence the pasture in half, in hopes to allow the left side to re-grow! I'm going to talk with the land owner about possibly getting in there and cutting the field (while the grass and legumes are so low to the ground.
One positive take away, was the amount of green there was, given the drought that had just gotten a little reprieve from a few days of rain. Thank God in Heaven for that rain! 

Here is looking to the future!!






No comments:

Post a Comment