Wednesday, June 16, 2021

"Faithfulness springs forth..."

I wanted to clip down the "Meadow Foxtail", and the invasive "Butterweed" before the cattle were allowed to graze once again in this pasture, but the wise advise of the farmer was, "...I'd wait till the cows come through first, THEN clip it." Which I had not considered, then after thinking about it, it made perfect sense. He knew these cows, and that they would not touch those two plants. Once they were done eating what they wanted, then it would leave the weeds to stick way up above the rest, and then we clipped the pasture down a bit, to cut down the taller "Meadow Foxtail", and the invasive "Butterweed". 

Having done that, now I see a lot of wonderful grasses and legumes that have had a chance at good growth without being blocked by the taller weeds. I'm sure they'll come back (weeds) but now I'm seeing a tremendous variety in the plants.. Meadow Fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, Tall Fescue, Orchard grass, Rye grass, Red clover, White clover. Now I've also seen ragweed, and ironweed. But I think that is a thing that will take years of proper management to remedy.  All in time. I'm also learning that some of the forbs (weeds) that grow can often have medicinal properties that can benefit livestock's health.


"Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven."    -Psalm 85:11

1 comment: